Susie Essex’s clinical work with complex disputed child protection cases is remarkable. Whatever the challenge Susie will inevitably find ways to skilfully utilise the responses of the parents, children, extended family or professionals to explore and focus on building safety and good care for the children.
Skilful practice like Susie’s is rather like watching a bird in flight, responding dynamically to the winds and conditions. Written descriptions of this sort of practice always lose something in translation even when the description is done well. Susie has written about her work with numerous colleagues: Colin Luger, John Gumbleton, Margaret Hiles, Andrew Turnell and others but because the written descriptions can never fully do justice to the practice the videos presented here offer a fuller insight into how to undertake and lead this complex work.
This video material presents Susie working with actors playing Kate (mother), Alex (father), Mark (Uncle), Norman (paternal grandfather played by John Gumbleton), Sarah (maternal grandmother played by Margaret Hiles) and Jim (maternal grandfather played by Colin Luger) in a case of unexplained physical injuries to an infant.
The two videos include almost three hours of material covering:
- Engaging the family
- Exploring the family and perceptions of the concerns
- Initial Safety Planning
- Creating the words and pictures explanation
- Family Safety Circles work
- Similar but Different work
- Final Safety Planning
All of the video material is subtitled in English.
- This product is available as a digital download only.
- Before purchasing any of the licenses please read the licensing agreement.
Personal Use — Digital Download
This package contains one digital copy of the video and workbook.
Organisational Multi-user License
Organisational Multi-user licenses allow for distribution of the digital video and workbook among agency staff.
- Small Organisation — up 50 staff
- Medium Organisation — between 50 to 250 staff
- Large Organisation — over 250 staff
- University/College — campus staff