The Signs of Safety approach is a constantly evolving model for child protection. As such, this video is now outdated and has been removed from sale to the public. The video is still available as an historical reference on the Signs of Safety Knowledge Bank (subscription required).
For parents the process is particularly frustrating because they feel that they don’t know what they need to do to get child protection services out of their lives. In this video and workbook Andrew Turnell takes direct aim at these issues presenting a specific vision and process for creating effective safety plans together with families and naturally occurring support network.
In the Video Andrew Turnell presents:
- The principles of effective safety planning
- The elements of effective safety planning
- Two detailed safety plan examples, the first in a case involving a suicidal mother who has neglected her son and the second relating to a situation of severe domestic violence
- The casework, engagement and questioning skills that create partnership with families and their networks which is the foundation of effective safety planning work.
- Ideas and specific methods to directly involve children in the safety planning
To compliment and deepen the video presentation the accompanying 40-page workbook:
- Provides further stepwise guidance of how to build family owned safety plans in collaboration with all key professionals and family members.
- Describes additional safety planning vignettes and examples.
- Draws on the words and experience of parents regarding safety-planning work of this sort in high-risk cases.