In this studio-filmed, 65-minute Signs of Safety video Andrew Turnell:
- Provides a short history describing the development of the Signs of Safety approach
- Presents and explains the two versions of the Signs of Safety assessment and planning framework and the analysis process for using the protocol as a comprehensive child protection risk assessment tool
- Uses a case example of a suicidal mother and four year-old son to demonstrate the Signs of Safety assessment process as a map that enables both professionals and family members to think themselves into and through the situations of child abuse and neglect
- Details the questioning skills that bring the Signs of Safety approach to life for professionals and family
The video comes with copies of the Signs of Safety assessment forms and the completed assessment example from the video case study.
To compliment and support the video presentation the Signs of Safety video is sold together with a 32-page workbook which:
- Focuses on assisting professionals to build their understanding and questioning skills in using the Signs of Safety approach so they can create rigorous, meaningful assessments together with parents, young people and children.
- Draws upon two additional case examples; one involving a father struggling with issues of addiction and mental illness who is seeking to reunite with his two young children, the second involves a homeless teenager who has been raped. The Signs of Safety assessments created in each case are presented and explored in detail.
- Includes suggested learning exercises (in shaded type) to assist practitioners in learning the approach.